Granite worktops London – manufacturing, maintenance, advantages
A beautiful kitchen is a dream for every house owner. But looks are not everything. Kitchen is, first and foremost, the place where you prepare meals and as such it has to conform to usability standards and proper design rules. In addition, kitchen will be one of the most used places in your home, thus it should be made of materials of the highest possible quality to ensure its durability. One of the first issues you will have to overcome is the choice of a kitchen worktop. You’ve probably heard a lot of good things about granite worktops London and all those praises were not exaggerated. Granite worktops will stay beautiful after years of use. In recent years they became immensely popular once again, so we have decided to create an article that will explain why they are so great, how they are manufactured and how to maintain them. All details can be found below.
Granite worktops London – the manufacturing process
A natural stone is used to create the granite worktop. This material is very hard to work with without proper tools and tried methods. Without good equipment, granite is impossible to shape. Let’s take a look at the way a granite worktop is made. First, you have to choose the color of the material. Fortunately, granite appears in a huge variety of natural hues and patterns, so you can easily find something that will fit your interior design. Next stage is pricing, of course. London granite worktops are made by expert stonemason companies and their experience allows them to price the work they are tasked with pretty quickly – just ask the company you have chosen and you will get a detailed pricing in no time. Nothing stands in your way if you wish to ask a few companies simultaneously, to choose the best offer. When you finally decide, you have to schedule an appointment, so the experts can measure the work area. Before the crew arrives, set the kitchen furniture in its final spots, so the measurement will be accurate. You should also plan ahead and find the place for the stove, the sink and other necessary equipment. Only then the installation of a granite worktop London will be accurate.
next step is the manufacturing itself. Granite slab is shaped and handled with special machines and diamond tools – more and more popular these days, as they allow for shaping it in quick and effective manner. Diamond tools ensure smooth surface and precise shape, chosen by the client. additionally, diamond tools also make the stone more resistant to scratches and other damages, as they do not harm the surface. The last stage is the installation process. The time it will take to install the worktops depends on numerous factors, but usually it takes from 3 up to 8 hours. Of course, the company brings everything it needs for the installation and only thing you should take care of is getting rid of all the items which may hinder the process or block the path for the experts.
Granite worktops London – maintenance
Proper maintenance of granite worktops is crucial for their everlasting beauty. That is why every buyer of such worktop should know the basic rules of caring for the granite surface and cleaning it. Here are the most important rules.
- Never use chemicals that have an acid in their ingredients list for cleaning a granite surface – most acidic solutions decolorize the stone and the stone will stop shining..
- Do not use bleach, as they also decolorize the surface.
- Do not use silicone oils for cleaning granite. Window cleaners or furniture solutions are also a bad idea, as they can leave permanent smudges.
- Granite worktops London (read more on polishgranite.co.uk) should be cleaned with soft cloth and warm water (mix it with a drop of a dishwashing detergent). Remember to wipe the damp worktop with clean water and dry the surface with cloth.
- Take note that it is ill-advised to use baking soda or lye near the worktop, as even a small portion can damage the stone.
- Nail polish remover and petroleum are also able to damage the natural structure of the stone, so be careful with them.
- Although granite worktops London are very durable and resistant, it is not recommended to cut anything directly on them.
- To ensure the worktop stays clean, wipe any liquid that appears on it.
- Try not to move heavy objects on the worktop’s surface to make sure you won’t scratch it.
- Granite worktop should be waterproofed once a year. This process will secure the structure of the stone and provide resistance to hard to remove stains. Waterproofing should be performed using a cloth or a brush and finished with polishing the surface with dry rag. Before you start waterproofing, remove any stains, clean the surface carefully and dry it completely.
Advantages of granite worktops London
It is certain that granite worktops have a number of advantages. The most important ones are enumerated below:
- A large variety of vibrant, natural hues – thanks to that property you can find a worktop that will suit your specific needs and taste.
- Exquisite looks which make every interior more luxurious.
- Incredible hardness and durability which makes your granite worktops last for years.
- High resistance to scratching, dampness and other damaging factors, which makes it easier to use.
- Granite is non-flammable, so it can be placed near stoves and ovens.
- Granite worktops are also resistant to heat, so you can put a hot plate or pot on them.
- Due to the fact that granite worktops have a very smooth surface, they are amazingly easy to clean.